We intend to provide a broad & ambitious curriculum that provides students with an excellent standard of education that is inclusive to all. As a Church of England school, we are distinctively Christian and work to allow our students to live life in all its fullness. Our students flourish academically, creatively, socially & spiritually through our school’s values of Care, Hardwork, Respect, Integrity, Servanthood & Togetherness.
Aims of our Curriculum
• Inclusion of all pupils no matter their background, prior attainment or barrier to learning to accessing the same ambitious curriculum content
• Building beyond KS3 National Curriculum & aiming for ambitious content taught across the full three years (7-9)
• Our KS3 curriculum has been built around the Skills, Knowledge & Understanding (SKU) needed for them to succeed beyond the school gates
• The widest possible options available at GCSE & A level options to suit the needs of our pupils, local and national requirements
• High expectations, breadth, high challenge & inclusive classroom practice
• Consistent planning & logical sequencing of content that leads to long term learning
• Implementation of a quality first wave approach to teaching & learning
• Enabling all our students to “Live Life in all its fullness (John 10:10)” through curriculum, enrichment, performances, PSHE and worship experiences
• Personal & character development enabling the widest variety of curricula and extra curricula experiences that allow pupils to develop a rounded individual
• Allow pupils to thrive as individuals through personalized & flexible pathways including RSE & PSHE
• Enable opportunities for students to develop socially and creatively through the breadth of our in school and extra curricula offering
• Enable students to have a positive impact on the community and the world around them
• Blue Coat promotes the spiritual development of our learners through embedding our schools CHRIST values at all levels of our curriculum:
- Care – Our curriculum is designed to be caring and compassionate for each individual pupil needs, backgrounds, abilities and aspirations.
- Hard Work – High expectations of all our pupils and support from dedicated, experienced & knowledgeable staff than enables them to achieve their potential. Hard work is recognised, rewarded & commended within all aspects of school life.
- Respect – Respect is embedded at all levels of our school and is a fundamental component of our curriculum. We ensure there is mutual respect for one another’s values and the opportunity to grow an appreciation for others.
- Integrity – We embed integrity within the curriculum by designing its content, sequence and delivery around the needs of our pupils. We ensure that what is right and wrong is a fundamental component of the content taught in the curriculum.
- Servanthood – Staff & pupils are rewarded for putting the needs of others beyond their own through supporting members of community to learn effectively.
- Togetherness – Colleagues work collaboratively to plan an effective curriculum that supports the widest range of needs allowing all pupils to access a truly inclusive education.
Structure of the Curriculum
3-year Key Stage 3 (KS3)
2-year Key Stage 4 (KS4)
2-year Key Stage 5 (KS5)
Click the title above to view the Curriculum Model and Structure for Blue Coat Church of England School & Music College.